My sister and I are both librarians, she in a high school in Southern Arizona and I at the district level in Texas. We are divided geographically by 964 miles and 16 hours driving time but in our profession maybe not so much.
When talking with her I learned that she is a student club sponsor, lesson plan writer, graduation coordinator, standardized testing moderator, collection development evaluator and more at her campus and we here in Plano ISD do likewise. She represents all of us, who regardless of staffing or other roadblocks want our students to reach their maximum potential and so we continue to:
- Work with teachers to plan and evaluate joint units of study
- Find ways to provide access to many types of materials
- Position ourselves as the curriculum resource go-to person
- Connect with students and staff
- Tutor, sponsor, and develop students into life-long learners